I make a ton of cookies! So many in fact, I’ve gone through 3 KitchenAid stand mixers in 12 years (that has got to be a record!). KitchenAid appliances really are the best … I am just unusually rough on my mixers. Cody found me a brand new one on an auction for stand-by because the one I am currently using is starting to make noises (LOL!). I should start a KitchenAid mixer saving account!
Chocolate chip cookies are THE favorite in my house. I’ve tried many different chocolate chip cookie recipes and always come back to this one. It makes the best cookie dough in the world – the kind that you can’t stop eating despite the fact that you could get salmonella from the raw eggs. It is worth the risk…haven’t gotten sick yet…been eating it since I was younger than Charlie…not gonna stop now…I think I’ve built up an immune resistance 🙂
This recipe comes from my mother. It makes a very soft chocolate chip cookie that is rather interesting. A few secret ingredients have mixed up the traditional recipe and made a really delicious cookie. For starters, 1/2 the amount of butter in the recipe is substituted with margarine. I don’t like margarine at all. I am a real butter devotee. But, I keep a few sticks in the freezer at all times for this recipe. I’ve tried it with all butter. It isn’t the same.
The second secret ingredient is a small package of instant vanilla pudding. I put the pudding in with the dry ingredients when I blend them together. I think this is why the cookie dough is so outrageously delicious, and why the cookies are so soft. Gotta have the pudding. Yes, I’ve tried chocolate to mix things up even more. Vanilla is better.
The third secret ingredient is the chocolate chips. Mom swears by this. She uses 1/2 milk chocolate chips and 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips. “Yummo!!”, as Rachel Ray would say. I use whatever chips I have on hand, because it is all good. But Mom’s way IS the better way (and I put that in writing…love you Mom). Please try these Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies and let me know if you love them as much as we do!
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup (1 stick) margarine
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 - 3.4 oz package - instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, margarine, and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until fluffy.
- In another bowl combine together the flour, salt, dry pudding mix, and baking soda.
- Gradually add the flour mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by large, rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges are just browned (centers will be soft).
- Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet.
- Cool on wire rack.