This, my friends, is a “Popcorn Cake”! Never heard of it? Well, you are in for sweet and salty, crunchy, marshmallow treat heaven!!
What do you get when you mix together popcorn, candy, pretzels and ooey-gooey melted marshmallows? A super easy, super fun and super yummy marshmallow popcorn cake. This is the snack that your kids will ask you to make when their friends are coming over. This is “cool kid” food (that adults love too)!
To make, start by popping up two regular size bags of microwave popcorn. We like ‘movie theater butter’ but any flavor of crunchy, salty popcorn will do just fine. Pour the popcorn to a large mixing bowl and remove any of the unpopped kernels. Meanwhile, set a large saucepan over medium-low heat and melt together a stick of butter and a 16 ounce bag of mini marshmallows (or about 60 large marshmallows).
Throw in some goodies with the popcorn. I use whatever I have on hand – M&Ms, pretzel pieces, peanuts…Sometimes my kids just want a “plain” popcorn cake with nothing but popcorn and melted marshmallows. It’s all good!
Once the marshmallows and butter are melted together, let the mixture cool for a few minutes (otherwise the chocolate candies will melt) then pour it over the popcorn and gently mix until it is all thoroughly combined and everything is coated with the melted marshmallows.
Gently press the popcorn into a greased tube pan and cover the pan with foil. Let it cool for about an hour, then run a butter knife around the edges and invert the popcorn cake onto a serving platter. Be sure and leave a bit of the mixture in the bowl to snack on as you wait for the cake to cool. I mean an hour is a really, really long time!
Popcorn cake is best stored tightly covered at room temperature and eaten within 2 days.
Don’t have a tube pan?
Make marshmallow popcorn balls or even bars!
Have a special event coming up?
Coordinate your popcorn cake by using M&Ms in colors that match the holiday or party theme!!
- 2 regular bags microwave popcorn, popped and unpopped kernels removed
- 2 cups M&M candies
- 1½ cups broken mini pretzel sticks
- 1 cup peanuts
- ½ cup butter, unsalted
- 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
- Spray tube cake pan evenly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together popcorn, M&Ms, pretzels and peanuts.
- In a medium saucepan, melt together the butter and marshmallows over medium-low heat.
- Remove mixture from the heat and let sit 2 minutes.
- Pour the melted marshmallows into the popcorn mixture and stir gently to coat all the popcorn.
- Firmly press the coated popcorn into the prepared tube pan. (Coat fingers with cooking spray so the mixture won't stick).
- Cover the pan with foil and allow to cool 1 hour.
- Loosen the edges of the popcorn cake with a knife and invert onto a serving plate.
- Store tightly covered.