A beautiful warm, sunny day and the gift of farm fresh eggs demands a Classic Lemon Tart.
Today it is 50 degrees in the Black Hills and I am undeniably setting myself up for disappointment. I can’t wait for Spring and today feels like a tease. The sky is so blue and the sun is so bright. I can practically see the buds on the trees and the first little leaves of brightly colored Crocus popping out of the earth. Spring is my favorite season: the birds, the flowering trees, the bugs… I know. I’ve quite the sense of humor and a vivid imagination. It’s January, girlfriend!! We are getting snow again in a few days and in the Black Hills it really isn’t Spring until May because we always seem to get one final wintery blizzard of a gift in April.
Regardless, since I am wishing for Spring a lemon tart sounded beautiful and perfect. I love the bright, fresh citrus smell of lemons. Lemons are so clean and happy. We are house hunting and our awesome real estate agent gifted us with a dozen of her “Faith’s Farm Fresh Butt Nuggets” yesterday. Just what I needed to make this 10-egg tart!! It was meant to be.
This lemon tart is made with a buttery, shortbread dough that could easily be used for sugar cookies and the filling is a rich, vibrant homemade lemon curd. The curd is dense and creamy and wonderfully yellow. This is a happy tart for a happy day.
- 2 large eggs, plus 7 yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup grated lemon zest
- ⅔ cup lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 4 T unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 T heavy cream
- 1 9-inch baked tart shell
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk eggs and yolks together in medium saucepan.
- Whisk in sugar until combined, then whisk in lemon zest, juice and salt.
- Add butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately pour mixture through fine-mesh strainer into bowl and stir in the cream.
- Pour warm lemon filling into warm, pre-baked tart shell.
- Bake tart on baking sheet until filling is opaque and enter jiggles slightly when shaken, 10-15 minutes.
- Cook tart to room temperature, on baking sheet.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 T heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 T unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces and chilled
- Whisk yolk, cream and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Process flour, sugar and salt in food processor until combined.
- Add butter pieces and pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add egg mixture and continue to process dough until it comes together, about 12 seconds.
- Turn dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into 6-inch disk.
- Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 11-inch circle on lightly floured counter.
- Place dough round on baking sheet, cover with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place dough into tart pan and press into bottom and fluted sides.
- Cover with plastic and freeze until well chilled and firm, about 30 minutes.
- Blind bake tart on a baking sheet for 30 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Remove pie weights and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Products Featured in this Recipe: