I love cake rolls! There are so many variations it’s crazy! This Chocolate Cake Roll with Charlotte Russe Filling is elegant and deceptively easy to make. The chocolate cake is moist and light and the filling is enhanced with just a bit of rum.Start the cake batter by whipping up some simple meringue with 6 egg whites and 1/4 cup of sugar.
In a separate bowl, the egg yolks are combined with a little more sugar, cocoa, vanilla and almond extract. Then this mixture is poured into the meringue and gently folded in.
The batter, once well incorporated, is spread evenly into a prepared jelly roll pan (I use a cookie sheet with edges). Always line your pan with waxed paper so the cake will come out easily. While the cake is baking in the oven, sprinkle a clean dish towel generously with powdered sugar.
Take the chocolate cake roll out of the oven and immediately invert it onto the prepared dish towel. Remove the waxed paper, and roll up the cake in the towel. Let it cool completely. This will help shape the cake into a roll.
After making the filling, unroll the cake and spread it evenly with the filling. Roll it back up and cut off the edges to make it prettier. Frost with extra filling and decorate as desired. Store this cake in the refrigerator because of the filling.
This chocolate cake roll is light and refreshing. My 11-year old Jack described it as, “heavenly”. LOL! Kids…!!
- 6 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Charlotte Russe Filling
- Chocolate Curls, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a jelly roll pan, then line with waxed paper and lightly spray with cooking spray
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in ¼ cup sugar and beat again until stiff peaks form and meringue is shiny and moist.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and the remaining sugar until thick and pale yellow - about 5 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add the cocoa, vanilla and almond extract. Mix until just combined.
- Fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites, gently mixing until just combined.
- Spread evenly in the prepared jelly roll pan.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, or until surface springs back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, generously sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- Turn the baked cake onto the towel and gently peel off the waxed paper.
- Roll up the cake in the towel, jelly-roll fashion.
- Place, seam-side down, on a wire rack and cool completely.
- Gently unroll cake and spread with ¾ of the Charlotte Russe filling. Re-roll.
- Place cake on serving plate, seam side down and spread top and sides with the rest of the filling.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Just before serving, garnish with chocolate curls.
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 T rum
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream and powdered sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a measuring cup. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Place the cup over a bowl of very hot water and stir the gelatin until dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Let the gelatin return to room temperature. Stir in the rum.
- Beat the cream mixture with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Gradually add the gelatin mixture and continue beating on medium speed until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm - about 30 minutes.
- Beat on high speed until smooth.