An approachable recipe for delicious, chewy sugar cookies!
I love sugar cookies that are crisp on the outside and very chewy on the inside. These cookies are rich and flavorful, just like those from a high-end bakery. You’ll take a bite and marvel at the perfect flavor thanks to an ingredient you just can’t quite put your finger on (it’s cream cheese!!).
I woke up this morning to the sounds of clanging around in the kitchen. I knew immediately…Charlie was up to something. Charlie had been watching the Food Network and was inspired to bake something. The kid was on a mission to make The Pioneer Woman’s “better cinnamon toast” and nothing was going to stop him. So, we went on a little baking quest and “better cinnamon toast” led to these delicious, chewy sugar cookies.
Charlie and I haven’t done a YouTube Boys Bake episode in quite a while and I guess we were due 🙂 For an 8-year-old, he does an amazing job in the kitchen. The only part I played in making this chewy sugar cookies was measuring the ingredients and using the oven. Those little hands did all the rest!!
This sugar cookie dough is a little softer than you will be used to. In fact, it seems a little greasy due to the melted butter and vegetable oil. You’re just gonna have to trust me and Charlie on this. They turn out perfect!
I bake just about everything on ready-cut parchment paper. Life is so much easier: my baked goods don’t stick and I don’t have to clean my cookie sheets afterward. When you bake up these cookies, only put one sheet at a time in the oven and be sure to rotate them half-way through baking. The secret to chewy cookies is to not over-bake. Take them out of the oven when the edges are set and just beginning to brown. If you make these cookies, leave us a comment! We would love to hear from you!!
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups sugar, plus ⅓ cup for rolling
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into 8 pieces
- 6 T unsalted butter, melted and still warm
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 T whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Place 1½ cups sugar and cream cheese in a large bowl.
- Place remaining ⅓ cup sugar in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Pour warm butter over sugar and cream cheese and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in oil until incorporated.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla; whisk until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and mix with a rubber spatula until a soft, homogeneous dough forms.
- Roll dough into 2 T balls. Roll balls in sugar and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Using bottom of greased cup, flatten dough balls to 2 inches in diameter.
- Sprinkle tops of cookies evenly with sugar.
- Bake 11-13 minutes or until edges are set and beginning to brown.
- Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack and let cool to room temperature before serving.
(Recipe from Cooks’ Illustrated Baking Book)
…Prefer CHOCOLATE? Try these Chewy Chocolate Cookies!!